The Courts of Heaven is a good way of understanding how a child of God can get justice when things are not going as they should do for them. It is a concept that is firmly based on the Word of God.
It puts together a number of concepts that are familiar to most Christians.
- God is not just their Heavenly Father He is also a judge.
- They have an enemy who accuses them of doing the wrong thing in the wrong way.
- Jesus is their advocate that is someone who stands beside them and speaks up for them in court.
- What we do is recorded in heaven. It is as if it is written in a series of books.
- If we accept that something wrong has happened and rather than running away face up to it and ask for mercy because of what Jesus did for us on the cross then we will not have to take the consequences. Ok, that is just an overview of a whole host of theological concepts including atonement, substitution and the power of the blood of Jesus.
When I heard of the concept of the Courts of Heaven suddenly all those things made sense. Where else would you find a judge, an accuser and an advocate? It was only a small step for me to appreciate how helpful the concept of the Courts of Heaven could be.
The thing about a court is that there is an accuser who presents evidence against someone. Where does that evidence come from? The picture I have is of an accuser who is a nasty piece of work saying all sorts of negative things against people. The judge has to listen to what he says but then he looks in the books.
In those books is a record of what we have said and done and even what others have said and done against us. The negative impact of those words and actions is reduced or even completely dealt with if we do what is necessary for us to receive the benefits of Jesus death on the cross.
The obvious example of this is that we have said or done something and we ask for forgiveness. Jesus can then stand up on our behalf and say there is no reason for them to take the consequences because I have already paid the price for them. Once He has done this the Judge can rule in our favour and make things right for us
This is only a basic outline of this way of understanding what the Bible says. There are hours and hours of teaching about The Courts of Heaven on You Tube. One of the better-known teachers who specialise in this way of looking at the Bible is Robert Henderson.
The thing that struck me when I watched them was how it these talks were putting together ideas I had learnt in the church in a slightly different way than I was used to. They were not new ideas but this was just a different way of arranging them so that they created something that seemed different. Something that when helped give me a structure to my prayers.